A year ago if you asked me if I liked quinoa, I probably would have replied with, “what the heck is quinoa?” I’ve always heard of it on and off but never tried it nor looked into what it was all about.
Well, now it has been about 4 months since I first tried quinoa, and I must say that it is now a staple in my pantry and one of my favorite meals. It’s super easy to heat up and there are so many different things you can do with it.
For those of you that are on the road to living a more healthy lifestyle life myself, quinoa is such a great alternative to many other foods especially rice. Quinoa has significantly less carbohydrates than rice does and it is filled with tons of amino acids and lots of fiber and protein. And quinoa is gluten free!
Quinoa is a great option for meal planning. You just have to cook a large enough batch and you can add so many different items to it depending on what you’re in the mood for and what is part of your diet. I personally love making enough to provide me with a handful of lunches and/or dinners for the upcoming work week.
Another healthy option I have recently stumbled upon in the last month is Kombucha. Kombucha is typically a black teat that has probiotic benefits due to it undergoing a fermentation process. There are so many benefits to drinking Kombucha and it is a great alternative to having a soda as it has significantly less sugar compared to sodas.
This is a favorite recipe and meal of mine that I have been making lately as I continue my journey onto a healthier lifestyle. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any other ideas for using quinoa. Also, if you’ve given Kombucha a try as well!
- 1 pound of chicken breast or cutlets
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded spinach
- 1/4 tbsp. of garlic powder for the chicken
- 1/4 tbsp. of coriander
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder for the dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken on greased baking sheet and evenly spread garlic powder, coriander, and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Bake chicken at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes (this will depend on your chickens thickness)
- Cook the quinoa as directed on your package.
- For the spinach, heat 1 tsp olive oil on the stove top and sauté the spinache.
- For the dressing, mix olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and garlic powder completely.
- After the chicken is cooked and cooled down from the oven, chop the chicken or you may shred it.
- I put the quinoa and spinach in a bowl first and mix it up, then I add the dressing mixing it up completely.
- Add chicken and incorporate entirely.
- Enjoy with your favorite beverage, lately mine has been the Pomegranate flavor from Health-Ade Kombucha.